Students continue to take part in all kinds of outdoor activities and outdoor play as we enjoy the last bright warm days of November.
*We have received important information about the review of immunization records for students at SLPS from Ottawa Public Health. OPH will be sending letters to parents beginning on November 24th if their child’s records are not up-to-date. A suspension from school may be issued in January 2016 if a student’s record remains incomplete. Parents who receive a letter requesting immunization information can contact OPH by phone at 613-580-6744 or submit immunization information online, by fax, by mail or by the ImmunizeCA app. Parents can visit parentinginottawa.ca/immunization for more details about how to submit their child’s immunization information to Ottawa Public Health. For more information please read Ottawa Public Health information
*Every year we practice our safety preparedness drills which include Fire Drills as well as Lockdown Drills. We have successfully practiced 3 fire drills so far and will be practising our first Lockdown drill next week. These mandated drills are important as they ensure that all students and staff know how to respond in the event of an emergency. We will be having our first lockdown practice on THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 26th in the morning. Teachers have been reviewing safety procedures with students, using age and grade appropriate language. As part of the practice, our School Resource Officer, Constable McCormack will be at the school to support us during this drill. As always, our foremost focus is on student safety. If you are picking up or dropping off your child during the school day please plan ahead as the drill will take place between 9 am and 10 am on November 26th and the front door will be locked.
*A safety reminder – The bus lane is only for buses and emergency vehicles at all times. This includes EDP drop off and pick up before and after school. Your cooperation helps to ensure student safety as this means cars are always kept at a safe distance from our student play areas. ‘Help us keep cars away from kids!‘
Highlights of student learning this week:
Creative writing in grade 5/ Grade 6 using technology to write & explore features of text/ Grade 6 exploring design and flight
- Nov. 20th : PA day Friday (no school/ no EDP program)
- Lockdown drill Nov. 26th 9-10am. No pick up or drop off of students during the drill.
- School council Holiday gift shop for primary students (grade 1,2,3) Dec. 9,10,11
- Jr. Bordenball tournament @ Confederation Education Centre- Dec. 9th Girls/ Dec. 11th Boys
- December holidays: Last day of school Dec. 18th/ Back to school Jan. 4 2016
- 2016-2017 Kindergarten registration begins January 25th
- Elementary Student transfer Application Period Feb 8-Feb 19th 2016
- Middle French Immersion Registration Period Feb.16- Feb.22 2016